Benefiting from the advice I garnered after my last post, I made another batch of yoghurt yesterday. A few pieces of knowledge especially helped:
- I worked with a thermometer this time and could regulate temperatures with precision.
- The thermometer allowed me to hold the milk at 185F for 15 minutes before rapidly cooling to 110F for pitching the culture.
- A makeshift double-boiler helped to regulate the heat and also prevented scalding.
- I knew to temper the original culture before infecting all of the new milk.
- The pilot lights on my Provincetown stove make the oven a really good incubator. I only needed to incubate for about five hours.
- I found really pretty jars at the store down the street.
And it worked.
For next time: I need a sassier original culture. A supermarket brand worked, but is super flat. I should have gone to the Supernatural.